he Administration has transmitted its FFY 2019 budget proposal to Congress. Included are some proposed policy directions and rent reform initiatives for the Section 8 Housing Choice Voucher and Public Housing Programs:
1) Establish or increase mandatory minimum rents;
2) Simplify rent calculations and increase tenant contributions;
3) Prevent rent increases for vulnerable elderly and disabled tenants when new rent structures are established;
4) Limit income recertifications for all households to once every three yea rs;
5) Provide a hardship exemption for tenants; and
6) Give Housing Authorities and property owners the option to choose alternative rent structures with the option to implement minimum work requirements.